Sunday, August 5, 2012

Seize the Day

I had the honor of guest posting for my friend who blogs over at Every Day Elise today! I thought I would share it with my lovely readers as well. Hope these words encourage you today and are just what you needed to hear.


I was so thrilled when Danielle agreed to do a guest blog for me last week, and just as thrilled when she asked me to return the favor! I decided to go off of Danielle's love for quotes and words of motivation and share one of my favorites with you. 

"The opportunity of a lifetime can only be seized within the lifetime of that opportunity."
This quote is one that frequently comes to mind in many different situations in my life. I have realized time and time again how true it really is. We can be presented with an opportunity of a lifetime; a life-altering, life-enhancing opportunity, but we must seize it within the time frame that the opportunity presents itself.

I have to admit, this may be one of my greatest fears; missing out or settling for something that is less than all there is for me. What causes us to miss out on these opportunities of a lifetime? I have asked myself this question and here is what I have come up with. First of all, fear. Fear of change, fear of uncertainty, and here's a biggie, fear of failing. Who wouldn't be afraid of completely blowing a great opportunity that is placed before them. We find ourselves asking, "What if I fail and look like a fool," "What if I let the people who believe in me down". I often have to remind myself that if everything in life was certain, life would lose the beauty of hope and anticipation. 

Another thing that causes us to miss our opportunities is contentment. Don't get me wrong, it is good to be content with your life, but it is possible to get so comfortable with our lives that we stop taking risks, we stop growing and become stagnant. Eww! I am one who can easily get tired of the same ole thing over and over with no growth or vision of something greater. Getting too comfortable with where we are now prevents us from taking those scary risks, or opportunities, that can help us grow and fulfill our full potential.

"Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game."
Cliche? Probably. True? Absolutely! Look to whatever opportunity you find before yourself as an adventure, a chance to be or do something greater. Don't let it intimidate you, let it challenge you and excite you. As it is said, life is a journey... don't get stuck at a fork in the road; look at that dividing path and tread on with courage. 


3 comments:

  1. Participating in the GFC Blog Hop for the first time! I'm your newest follower. :)

    Kristina
    http://www.yomichaelmichael.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's true, I admit that often times I let fear keep me from doing great things. Thanks for the reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, yes!!! You said it! Sometimes you've just got to put yourself out there and give it a try! Stopping by from your ad on After Nine to Five by the way. ;)

    ReplyDelete